Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sucker Punch

Alrighty then let's get into the sci-fi adventure action packed film that is Sucker Punch! Now I must say I totally understand why alot of critics did not like this movie. It is very hard to follow if you are not paying attention. I suggest going to the bathroom before hand because if you miss bits and pieces you will be ROYALLY screwed!

So our film is basically about Baby Doll a girl who her mother dies and her step-father is an epic creep who tries to rape her. So she tries to defend herself and we all know what happens to women who take power and try to fight, they end up committed! Baby Doll goes to this mental hospital where she finds out that in 5 days a man is coming to give her a lobotomy. She has that amount of time to figure out a way to escape.

Ok here is where the film gets confusing, we go from her being in a mental hospital to being in a whore-house. I wont tell you how she gets there you just have to allow yourself to believe that these same people are in this "new" location. I promise you will understand by the end but until then just follow along. If you get hung up on the how you will miss out on the whole plot of this next "chapter".

So the counselor teaches these girls that when they dance for clients it is a way to free themselves from the real world. Baby Doll seems to have this magic over people where when she dances people forget why they are there. So when she dances she goes into this little fantasy world where she can learn how to escape. The other girls trying to escape are Sweet Pea, Rocket, Blondie, and Amber (GREAT name!). When the girls decide to work together to get out they become apart of Baby Doll's magic world.

Each world is different from the next but they have a theme with what object they are trying get. So once they are in a battle in Japan, then the middle ages, then this future world and world war I trenches. Each world looks AMAZING and the action is just stellar! I wont go on with much more about the story because it will spoil the movie and we all know I do not do that!

Why did I love this movie? I loved the special effects they were fresh and new. The worlds were creative and we believed the girls were in a battle for their life. Now I know for a fact that a bunch of guys are gonna go see this for the hot girls wearing little clothing, this is true. They are sexy girls with rocking hot bodies that most women will only dream of looking like. Personally, I thought it empowered the girls. They were able to use their looks and charm to get WHATEVER they needed from the weak simple minded men. Not gonna lie, if I could rock the fishnets and a sword I'd be fighting dragons too!

Over all I think most people will be confused because it is confusing. Just let yourself go for the ride and don't question it because all the answers come at the end. Just enjoy the movie for the action, adventure and AMAZING soundtrack. Please be sure to listen because that is the best soundtrack I have heard in a long time! I might have to get it just to rock out with in the car!

Over all I give it a B+/A- because it entertained me and I give it credit for trying to be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment