Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Limitless

So I have to say I'm really on the fence about Limitless. I really liked what the director tried to do with the special effects but there were alot of plot holes and things that I just didn't get. Normally I understand all the crazy film talk but this one had me sitting back and thinking. Let's just dig in and try and explain what I mean.

The movie is basically about Bradley Cooper as Eddie, a struggling writer lazy guy. He looks homeless but he is just really lazy and lacks motivation. So his ex-brother in law pops in and offers him a magic pill that helps stimulate your whole brain. So he takes this pill that comes in a plastic baggy (yeah smart move there buddy, let's just take an unknown pill from a man you have not seen in 10 years and hope it doesn't royally screw me over.) So he takes the pill and he basically can use all of his brain. He can recall things he saw 10 years ago and pick up languages like nothing. It also has your body running at top speed so when you are on it you do crazy things. You want to jump off a rock, start a fight, or drive really crazy down a busy street. It makes the user become a thrill seeker.

Along for the ride is Eddies on again/off again girlfriend Lindy played by Abbie Cornish. I am not even sure why they advertised her, she is literally in it for 30 minutes. She just shows up and leaves at random parts of the movie. I really didn't get the point of her character but I guess they just needed to throw in a female to counter act Coopers sexy rocking hot self.

Then we also have Robert DeNiro as Carl, a wall street tycoon who wants Eddie to work for him. His character is suppose to be a mix between a Trump and a gangster. He does alot of big talking but very little action. He also has a bit at the end of the movie that really didn't makes sense. Carl shows up with a new title and job and is suddenly aware of everything....PLOT HOLE!!!! How the heck did he learn anything? It kind of pissed me off because he character went from being confused and lost to being fully aware of our pill popping friend??

Here is my beef with the movie, possible spoilers below
So we have Eddie taking this magic pill and getting a really REALLY big stash of it. Then he starts taking it all the time and starts to lose time. Well in the preview I figured it would be about him trying to figure out what he did during the black outs but it is hardly an issue! Then we find out that everyone who was on the drug started having problems. Eddie slowly starts to take a normal amount and is fine??? How does that even make sense? I was just mad because so much stuff about the pill goes unanswered and we are just suppose to play along and believe that it all magically fit together. Basically Eddie becomes addicted to thins pill, when he is off NZT (pill name) he is like a crackhead.

So basically I had mixed feeling about this movie. I like that the director used different colors when Eddie was on or off NZT. He used a lot of blues and greys when Eddie was clean and alot of yellows and oranges when he was on NZT. It was also really cool how the time skipping was filmed, in like a slow motion film stretch, very cool.

If you like Cooper than you will probably enjoy this film. I just left the film with more questions than I came in.
I give it a B- because of cool camera movements and Coopers rocking good looks ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment