Tuesday, July 27, 2010

8 MM

So as I have stated before I love reviewing all types of films. It does not matter if they are new or old so I have here a few movies I picked up from the video store. Now I am on a bit of a Nicolas Cage kick right now. I'm talking a bunch of his movies, here is the list that I have watched so far....
National Treasure 1&2
8MM
Bringing Out The Dead
Face/Off
The Rock
Guarding Tess
Moonstruck
Ghost Rider
That is just my list so far, I have a bunch stacked on top of my DVD player right now....all in good time I promise!

Well last night I decided to try and put in 8MM and I must say...wow! I knew that the movie was a bit strange but wow I was impressed! The film had me so tense and on the edge of my chair that I had to fast forward because i couldn't handle the suspense!

The idea is that Cage is a PI and he is investigating a movie that some rich widow finds of her husband's. It's a film where a young girl is shown being killed on tape. Cage is hired to see if it is real or fake. The film reminded me of Alice going down the rabbit hole. Cage starts off being so emotional about the tape but as he continues he becomes more desensitized to the horrible films he finds. He ends up knee deep in the world of Underground Violent Adult films and it's disturbing.

There is also an great performance by a very young Joaquin Phoenix as an adult video store clerk. Now I must warn you that this is a very hard film to watch. After all these years of watching movies, it takes a lot to shock or disturb me and this film did. It really pushes that line of what Hollywood and the industry can do to people. It really is this eye opening film to the dark side of people and how fast you become sucked into these crazy circles of pure evil. It is a rated R movie for a reason so only go into knowing it could make you feel uncomfortable.

Cage's performance is absolutely amazing and he really shocked me. He has emotion and range that is just amazing. He goes from every raw emotion, pain, sorrow, disgust, anger, and amazing stunning thrilling rage.

Action: Some
Suspense: Yeah!
Shock Value: you bet

Over all grade: B+/A-

No comments:

Post a Comment