Saturday, February 9, 2019

The Matrix - Can It Stand Up for 20 Years

100 Movies in 100 Days
Movie 3 Day 3
The Matrix

Happy 20th Anniversary to The Matrix! I remember seeing this movie in the theater when I was 12. I had no idea what was going on! Wait, is it a computer game? Is it the future? Is it just a really bad acid trip? Why is everyone dressed up like leather grunge goths? These are questions I still have as I re-watch this movie for the first time in many years.

To be perfectly honest, I have not watched The Matrix in 15 years, at least. I think the last time I watched it I was in high school and all the boys were OBSESSED with this movie. In 1999 The Matrix came out of nowhere and became an instant cult classic. We were all shocked at the groundbreaking special effects and unique story-line. I remember all the parodies that came out after this movie. Anyone else remember Anna Faris doing The Matrix jump in Scary Movie?! It became a cultural phenomenon. I remember getting fake black leather pants and boots, it was a kinky twist on early 90's grunge culture. Oh how I miss the 90's!! Moving on!

So here is the real question, is The Matrix still as impressive 20 years later?

The short answer, HECK YEAH!
I completely forgot how great this movie was! I was hesitant to watch it because I was afraid the special effects would not stand up. There is nothing sadder than watching a movie from your childhood and realizing the special effects are crap. I'm talking about you Lawnmower Man?! 20 years is a very long time in the age of special effects. The Wachowski Siblings gave the film a timeless vintage vibe. The major sign that the movie is 20 years old is the cell phones and the computers. The cell phones are the old school black sliders that only made phone calls. I know, crazy right? How am I supposed to text someone or check Facebook? How dare you, there is no need for Facebook in The Matrix. As Morpheus explains, The Matrix is set to the year 1999 so we except the outdated technology. We will let go of the bulky computer screens and the fact Neo has a hacking program on a floppy disk.

The special effects are still impressive. You know the special effects team was good when you can't tell the difference between a computer generated effect and a practical effect. For the majority of the movie, I couldn't tell the difference and I have a very keen eye for special effects. I know Trinity was not really flying a helicopter but it sure does look real. Not to get too nerdy but I'm still impressed but the blue pill/red pill scene. The pills and Neo reflected in Morpheus' sunglasses is my favorite shot in the entire movie, film-making GOLD! 20 years later and I'm still impressed by the brilliant work by The Wachowski Siblings. The only out-dated special effect is toward the end of the movie when Neo takes over the body of Agent Smith. The effect is so 1999 but in a nostalgic kind of way.

The acting, where do I even begin? Let's talk about the always brilliant Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus. He embodies charisma and charm. He draws you in with the promise of truth and meaning to your life. He is someone you want to follow into the post-apocalyptic battle. The performance still gives me chills.

Another stand out performance is Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith. Holy crap, I'm still terrified of this man. Hugo becomes this robotic program with no human emotions or actions. He's completely horrifying in the best way possible. It takes a magnetic actor to stand up and hold his own next to Laurence Fishburne and Keanu Reeves, Hugo Weaving does that without breaking a sweat.

We have to talk about Keanu Reeves. Oh Keanu, the handsome man of my high school dreams, you are beautiful, haunting and sexy. You draw me in with those sad eyes, gorgeous marble face, and charming innocence..... Sorry, I'm distracting myself.....what was I talking about again. Oh right, Keanu's acting. Keanu does a wonderful job of making Neo vastly likable. He brings a childlike innocence to the character that you want to protect. You don't want to see him fall at the hands of society. We want to see him learn Kung-Fu and kick some serious Agent ass. We want Neo to be The One, to save us all. I think a reason this movie did so well with men and women is because of Keanu Reeves. We found him to be an interesting character. We were him and he was us, neither understanding what The Matrix is or how to comprehend it. We want to see more of his adventures!

Not only does The Matrix stand the test of time, it roundhouse kicks time in the face. When was the last time you watched The Matrix? I suggest you grab a drink, pop some popcorn and watch it as soon as possible. In March, The Matrix will turn 20 year old, let's celebrate this mind-blowing movie. Take the red pill and go down the rabbit hole with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment