Monday, February 18, 2019

Eighth Grade

100 Movies in 100 Days
Movie 12 Day 12
Eighth Grade

I knew I wanted to see this film but I kept forgetting about it. A friend and I had been talking about it when it first came out. We were intrigued that it was written and directed by comedian Bo Burnham. It seemed like an interesting connection, this goofy guy writing about the eighth grade experiences of a girl. Whatever magic it was, the film was beautifully heartfelt.

Eighth Grade is the story of Kayla played by Elsie Fisher. Kayla is a very shy girl who just wants to survive her last week of eighth grade. She tries to be outgoing and even does youtube videos, giving advice to teenagers about gaining confidence. She struggles to make friends and all she wants is to be accepted. At one point she write a list of her goals and one is to make friends and have a best friend. Her goal list crushed my heart. I remember how difficult it was to be in middle school. I was always the loud girl but I was lucky enough to have great friends.

Eighth Grade does not sugarcoat the real issues of being a teen. At one point she wants to talk to a boy but it's known that he is more sexually experienced. Kayla has to decide if sending nude photos is something she is ready for. She is so innocent and sweet but she is afraid that's why she isn't making friends. Kayla will hurt your heart in the best way. Eighth Grade shows the modern struggles teens today are fighting through. It's eye-opening to see the good and bad things that come for a generation fully immersed in technology.

Elsie Fisher does a beautiful job bringing Kayla to life. She shows her vulnerabilities and that's terrifying for anyone, let alone a 13 year old girl. Her acting was enduring and charming. You wanted to protect and hold her. Kayla is a character you can relate to and care for.

The movie is rated R which surprised me. I thought it was made with teens in mind and it was. Slight spoiler here, there is a scene where Kayla has to learn about consent. A high school boy is pressuring her to have sex in the car, it's unbearably uncomfortable to watch. It's intimately filmed and I was terrified the whole time. I didn't want this sweet girl to lose her innocents to some jerk high school boy.  The sad reality is teens are dealing with these types of pressures everyday. It is a reality to them and the film is a cautionary tale to parents trying to deny it is really happening.

If you were ever a teenager I think you will enjoy this movie. Eighth Grade is a heartfelt film about the awkwardness of growing up. I think you will really enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment