Thursday, February 14, 2019

Destination Wedding

100 Movies in 100 Days
Movie 8 Day 8
Destination Wedding

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! It seemed like the perfect day to write about a romantic comedy. I know, that's two in a row. Hey, it's my blog and I get to write about the movies I wanna watch!

Destination Wedding is a movie about two people going to a wedding that they really don't want to be at. Keanu Reeves plays Frank, the disapproving half brother of the groom. Winona Ryder plays Lindsay, she is the ex-fiancee of the groom. Lindsay and Frank meet on the plane ride to the destination wedding and bicker the entire time. As fate would have it, they keep getting placed together since they are the only single people at the wedding. Hilarious banter continues the remainder of the movie.

Destination Wedding does something incredibly unusual, Lindsay and Frank are the only speaking characters the entire film! There are other characters but none of them ever say a word on camera. The entire film is the back and forth bickering between Frank and Lindsay. It took me a while to wrap my mind around this concept. Destination Wedding felt like a play rather than a movie movie. It seemed incredibly intimate and personal, like I was watching them without their knowledge. It was delightfully bizarre, knowing a secret before anyone else does.

I found Destination Wedding's script very entertaining. I never knew how funny Keanu Reeves could be. He plays the perfect, cynical bastard! Frank is so sick of life and love. He finds the idea of marriage and relationships completely unnerving. I caught myself laughing out loud at his sarcastic one-liners. He does a brilliant job keeping up with Winona, who stands on her own in the comedy department. She has a dry, bitter spinster attitude that I completely relate to! 

Destination Wedding says what we are all thinking but don't have the guts to say out loud! Frank and Lindsay say the horrible things we think about society, siblings, parents and partners. It's refreshing to hear someone say the taboo things out loud. I think that's where the magic of this movie happens. It's like getting splashed in the face with cold water.

If you are a cynical person who enjoys a good laugh, check out this movie. It's only an hour and 22 minutes long. If anything, it will make you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment