Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Bohemian Rhapsody

100 Movies in 100 Days
Movie 13 Day 13
Bohemian Rhapsody

How the heck have I not done a review on Bohemian Rhapsody?! I swear I wrote one but it looks like I must not have. I am a big Rami Malek fan, I blame A Night At The Museum. Some may say Mr. Robot, which is brilliant but I had a big crush on Rami in The Night At The Museum movies. He was charming and super cute. Rami aside, I really wanted to see Bohemian Rhapsody because I am a big Freddie Mercury fan. I love his story and think he was an absolutely brilliant artist. I didn't just see Bohemian Rhapsody once in the Theater but 3 times. Each time I noticed something new and unique.

Bohemian Rhapsody follows Freddie Mercury's journey from college kid to Queen lead singer. We see how he became the artist we all adore. The film does a lovely job showing Freddie's struggle as he comes to terms with his homosexuality. We see how he the truth, even from himself. It's tragic and wonderful when he finally starts to embrace his truth.

If Rami Malek doesn't win the Oscar for Best Actor, I'm going to be so pissed! He completed transformed himself into Freddie. He mastered the way Freddie moved, spoke and performed. I would have never thought anyone could be Freddie Mercury but Rami comes pretty dang close. His performance is the stuff of Hollywood Legend. If you want to watch something fun, go on youtube and look up the side by side performance of Rami and Freddie at Live Aid. It's completely mind-blowing how in sync Rami's performance is with Freddie's.

My biggest concern of this film was going to be how they handle Freddie's death. I know people love a heavy drama but I don't want to see someone I admire die a slow horrible death from aids. How does the film handle Freddie's Aids diagnosis?  Bohemian Rhapsody handles Freddie's diagnosis with respect and grace. We didn't watch him slowly get sick, we saw him rise above.  Instead of ending with his death, the film focused on the Live Aid concert. The ending made the film about Freddie's life and legacy, not his death.

What about the other 3 guys? Freddie himself did not like being called the leader of Queen. He said he was the lead singer and they were all a team. The film makes sure to show Queen was a collaborative family. We see what a horrible flirt Roger is. We laugh with John's one-liners. We see Brian May give his heart and soul on the guitar. It was a film about Queen, not just Freddie. It also helped that the movie was produced by Brian and Roger!

If you have ever heard a Queen song or rocked out to Bohemian Rhapsody, this is a movie for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment