Thursday, March 1, 2012

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Alright, I admit it.....I went and saw Journey 2: The Mysterious Island just because Josh Hutcherson was in it! I am in serious need of a Hunger Games fix and after I watched The Kids Are All Right and The Last Song, this was my other option. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this movie and the fun entertainment it had. Keep in mind this is a family film for a younger group of kids. The story is very simple and it moves along quick. It will hold the attention of the little 6 and 7 year olds but still be funny for the older tween group of kids.

This is a sequel to the first Journey To The Center of The Earth, sadly Brendan Fraser is not in this one. In this story Sean and his mom have moved away to a new town. The story starts off with Sean, played by the charming Josh Hutcherson, breaking into a military office. He found a code hidden in a satellite message that he believes is from his missing grandfather played by Michael Cane. With the help of Hank Sean's stepfather, played by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, they go on a search for The Mysterious Island. They must hire a plane to get there, piloted by Gabato and his daughter Kailani, played by Luis Guzman and Vanessa Hudgens. Once they arrive at the Island they are exposed to all the magic it has to offer. You will notice characters from classic stories and it's fun to see huge lizards and bees.

The movie is quick witted and very funny. Michael Cane has some moments to pure gold with Dwayne Johnson, they play so well off of each other. Josh Hutcherson is so charming and sweet, you can not help but like him. Luis is so funny, he had me in tears from laughing so hard. He has this sort of pure innocence that makes you smile. He is the perfect character for a children's movie. Vanessa Hudgens.....what can I say about her? She looked amazing and she was very pretty but how in the world does this girl still get work!? She is so sweet but her acting is terrible in this movie. It's cheesy and you can tell she is reading lines, it doesn't feel real. Thank goodness she has Josh to play off of because he makes up for her lack of skill. The thing is, you really REALLY want to like Vanessa, you can tell she is a nice girl. I'm sure in person is she fantastic but that acting was so bad. I could have done better and I've never done a film in my life.

Over all it is a great film for the family. Keep that in mind that the audience is younger children to tween because you will see it as charming and adorable. If you go into the film expecting it to be this epic film you will be disappointed. I really liked the film and I know that my 7 year old nephew will love this movie. I can already see him bouncing up and down in his seat. Oh I wanted to add that I did see this movie in 3D. If you have read my reviews before, you know I have a big disdain for 3D. This movie uses the 3D to make it more fun for the kids. You see bees and berries flying at you. It was fun and added a little something extra to the film, that is what 3D is suppose to do. It will still be just as amazing of a film without the 3D.

Action: Yep
Adventure: Heck Yeah
Drama: Not really
Funny: Very
Eye Candy: YEPPERS!!!!

Over All: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment