Monday, March 12, 2012

John Carter

I am so sorry that I have not been as up to date with my reviews as I should be. I have been very busy and honestly sleep has won me over. Whenever I get a spare few hours to myself, all I want to do is crash. To paraphrase Ron Weasley....I need to sort out my priorities. Not to worry I am still watching as many movies as ever, so let's get right into it. I love the Disney action films, I think they are epic and adventurous. I knew I would see John Carter from the first preview. To be totally honest, I went into the film with very low expectations. I knew the special effects would be awesome but I had little faith the the quality of the script. I must say I was proven wrong.

The movie is about John Carter, a soldier who is trying to find his place in the world. He is disturbed by the memories of his past and tries to change his fate by seeking out treasure and riches. One day he ends up in a cave where he finds and item that whisks him to a new world. In this world he can not walk or run like his normal self. His steps are him and he can leap from place to place.

Come to find out, he is actually on Mars. He is put into this land of adventure and danger as he tries to find his way home. While on Mars he finds aliens and humans alike trying to survive as their world falls apart. John must decide if he will fight with these new found beings or just try and get home to the world he knows.

The movie is a little hard to follow at times. It is hard to understand the different lands and people they are talking about. The film uses alot of made up martian names that all sound the same. I found myself trying to figure out who they were talking about because I didn't recall the name.

The special effects were believable and grand. The green aliens were lovely and creepy with their tusks and four arms. Even watching John, you believed he was really leaping from structure to structure. The colors used in the movie were haunting with the dry yellows and browns to the lush blues and reds. The colors were vivid while the costumes were simple and showed lots of skin. The story was about the land, environment, and history of Mars.

The actors were not bad either. John Carter is played by Taylor Kitsch and he is not only sexy with his body like karate but his emotional range shows so much potential. Yes part of me kept thinking about Gambit from X-Men Origins but that's ok! Lynn Collins played Dejah Thoris a Martian princess that travels along with John. She is beautiful with stunning blue eyes. Her fake accent made me cringe just a little but you almost over look it because she kicks alot of butt!

Over all a fun and entertaining movie that the kids can enjoy.

Action: Yes
Adventure: Yes
Thrill: Some
Over all: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment