Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

I must say I was not very impressed by the movies out this past weekend. That is probably because I am in desperate need of some summer action blockbusters. I have been watching trailers for The Bourne Legacy, The Avengers, The Hunger Games, The Amazing Spiderman, The Dark Knight Rises, and Snow White and the Huntsman. This summer is going to be amazing with films but until that time I am stuck watching Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Once again the only times that worked with this movie were in 3D. I hardly even noticed that it was in 3D which tells me they did not use it to the full potential. It didn't need to be in 3D and It didn't bring that extra soemthing to the film. Again I will get off of my 3D soapbox and jump back into my review of this movie.

I was not a big fan of the first film. I thought that it was a little slow and it took a while for the film to really get going. I also never understood the end of the film and why Johnny Blaze decided to make a new enemy. That being said, I did like this film so much more than the first one. This one was very simple and started off quickly. There was none of this crazy build up, the movie just jumped into the story. It also had an amazing nod to the comic books by using the comic art to tell the back story of the Ghost Rider. Throughout the movie the direct uses this and I felt it added so much more to the film. It changed the style and allowed it to be different.

The whole premise of the story is that the Devil, played by Ciaran Hinds is looking for a way to be on Earth fully powered. He can not do that in human form. There is a connection between the Devil, Nadye, and her son Danny. Nadye is played by Violante Pacido and Danny is played by Fergus Riordan. With the help of Moreau, played by Idris Elba, and Johnny Blaze Aka Ghost Rider, played by Nicolas Cage, they all team up to fight the Devil.

Along the way there is fighting, adventure, and violence. I really enjoyed Danny as a character because he is a young boy put into this battle of Heaven and Earth. He reacts the way any normal child would act. I really enjoyed Idris character and I wished he was in the film a little bit more. The action scenes were very cool and the special effects were very intense. I even enjoyed the inner turmoil that Johnny was going through trying to be both himself and the Ghost Rider. In this movie we actually find out how the Ghost Rider came into existence in the first place. A very interesting story that is also told through the eyes of the comic book.


Action: Yes
Adventure: Yep
Drama: Not really

Over all: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment