Friday, October 28, 2011

The Rum Diary

As most of my ten readers know, I have a top five favorite actors. My top five actors are JohnnyDepp, Robert Downey Jr, John Cusack, Hugh Jackman, and Jeremy Renner. To be fair, the 5th does tend to change depending on the month. Anyways when I heard about the Rum Diary TWO YEARS AGO I knew that I would love it because it mixes Johnny Depp and Hunter S. Thompson. The movie is based on the book that Hunter wrote in 1961. Now I have not read the book, so this is not a compare and contrast, although I was told that it is very different from the book. So this is strictly a review based on the movie and not the book. I should probably read the book, I heard it was great!

The movie starts just as every Hunter story should, waking up from a binder the night before. I like those kind of openings, it just puts you right into the story and you get to know the character right away, no foreplay if you will. Our main character is Paul Kemp played by the lovely, beautiful, and talented Johnny Depp. He is a writer with a 'slight' alcohol addiction, although he doesn't know it. Kemp is down in the lovely Puerto Rico during the 1960's looking for a new job. The editor in chief, Lotterman, is played by Richard Jenkins and he is perfect for the role. He is a newspaperman just trying to keep the paper going. He is stressed and everyone knows it.

As soon as Kemp walks in he also meets Sala, played by the sensational Michael Rispoli. Sala and Lotterman both welcome Kemp to Puerto Rico and warn him about the locals and the corrupt people the dwell in the town. Kemp gets the golden opportunity to meet Moburg, played by the psychotic Giovanni Ribisi. Moburg is a writer that has taken so many drugs, he is hard to understand. He just keeps showing up and getting paid even though he hardly ever writes a story.

Kemp also meets his lovely Mermaid named Chenault, played by Amber Heard (yeah for the Ambers!!!) This is the mystery girl that Kemp falls head over heels for, but who wouldn't fall for a beautiful girl skinny dipping the in the ocean? Sadly she is the girlfriend of the local wealthy over powered Sanderson played by Aaron Eckhart.

Kemp is pulled into the Rum and lust of Puerto Rico but he sees the people and the pain that they go through trying to fight for their land. The land is now being invaded by fat Americas who only want an expensive view of the ocean. Sadly, every time Kemp tries to take a stand against the wrongs and corruptions, he is shot down. None of his stories are published because no one wants to anger the powers that be.

The whole movie is filled whit HILARIOUS moments that only Depp can deliver. He is so funny without even trying. The film does have alot of Hunter hints, it reminded me of Raoul Drake in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which is not a bad thing. There are the quirky moments and of course the crazy drug induced delusions.

The actors in this movie are amazing, such a great cast that will probably will never get the credit they deserve. Rispoli is by far the stand out to me, he is so funny but has so much heart. It is hard for actors to hold their own against Johnny but Rispoli does it. Ribisi is so creepy as the drugged out, wash out. He almost plays that role too well, it makes you wonder if he needs a hug in real life. I guess that should be seen as a great actor and nothing less!

I was very surprised by the performances of Amber Heard and Aaron Eckhart. Heard is honestly not one of my favorite actors. I have seen her in a few B rated movies and I have not been impressed. I must say that she blew me out of the water in this movie. I thought it would just be her running around in a bikini being hot but she brought so much more to the film. Her character is so trapped by the life is living that her only way out is Kemp. She sees him as a conquest at first but then sees that he is the only guy that truly sees her. Not gonna lie, I really wanted her job in this movie. Running around Puerto Rico with Johnny Depp and Aaron Eckhart....yes please! Some girls have all the luck!

Aaron Eckhart surprised me because I didn't understand his character. He is portrayed as this bad guy but how he became a bad guy is confusing. He starts as this nice guy and then all of a sudden he is angry. It almost seemed like there was a scene missing that would explain this transformation. His actor was great but the character confused me.

Over all the movie has so much to offer, it has heart and emotion. Sure is also has some very funny moments and is very dialog heavy but it's all quality! The acting is amazing and it will make you wanna travel to Puerto Rico, maybe with a good looking guy like Kemp ;)

If you are in the mood for a good movie I say check it out!

Action: So So

Humor; Yep!

Over All: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment