Friday, October 28, 2011

The Thing

To start let me make it very clear that this is not a remake but a prequel. They are not trying to recreate the classic film from the 80's. To be a total snob the REAL movie came out in the 1950's and it was in black and white. Now THAT was a good movie but I'm a purist so it's really not fair to compare. This movie takes us back to how they found this creepy creature in the ice.

Our leading lady is Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Kate, she is a student that is sent to Antarctica to dig up this frozen creature they found. She meets up with her friend Eric, played by Eric Christian Olsen and together they work on this dig. The only other actor I knew was Joel Edgerton. I had just seen Warrior and was excited to see him again.

So the movie is basically this, They dig up a frozen Alien and it comes back to life. Now the kicker is this, the Alien can adapt on to a person and become that person. The whole movie we have no idea who to trust and then everything falls apart as the creature starts to kill. People turn against each other and no one is to be trusted.

Honestly the movie was visually NASTY! Seriously it made my tummy turn, it was very graphic. It was like mutants attacking more mutants. The movie did have some great actor and fun fire burning! I'm all about the flame thrower!

The only good acting came from Edgerton, he was a character I believed and rooted for. The others were ok but I really was not emotionally invested in any of their characters. It was the classic scary run around movie. Alot of action but not alot of substance which is not a bad thing, it's just mindless entertainment.

Over all it's bloody and creepy

I give it a C

No comments:

Post a Comment