Saturday, October 8, 2011

Real Steel

I have been waiting for Real Steel to come out for months! I think I was starting to go through Hugh Jackman Withdrawals! I have to say it was well worth the wait! This movie was fantastic!

Real Steel is about Hugh Jackman playing Charlie, a former boxer down on his luck. The game of boxing changed in this not to distant future (I think it takes place around 2020ish) Now boxing is done by Robots because they can take a hit better and have more carnage than real people. They can take each other apart in the ring and it's all OK because no one get killed. Charlie controls a fighting robot in this new boxing style. We find out his is down on his luck and honestly his robot kinda sucks. Within 5 minutes the robot starts to fall apart! Even with the help of his friend and former girlfriend, Bailey(played by Evangeline Lily) they can not get this robot to improve.

In the meantime Charlie finds out that his ex-wife has died and now his son needs a guardian. His son(Max) is played by new comer Dakota Goyo who is sensational. This kid is going to have an amazing career, he is so funny and charming. Anyway I'll get to that in a minute! Max's aunt Debra (played by Hope Davis) wants to adopt Max. Charlie ends up making a deal with Debra's husband for them to have custody of Max for money. Part of the deal is that Charlie has to take Max for a few months and then Debra will take full custody. There is alot more to it to that but I don't wanna ruin bits of the movie for you so I'll just leave it at that.

Max finds a robot in the junkyard and together Max and Charlie teach this robot called Atom how to box.

The whole movie is just fantastic! The fighting Robot special effects are sensational! I could not tell what was real and what was CGI and that is saying something because I am picky when it comes to CGI. The robots were believable and I could see something like that being created in the next 10 years. The fact that it was a little in the future really helped the story. Everything was the same but slightly upgraded.

The relationship between Charlie and Max is amazing. You really feel like Jackman and Goyo are father and son. They have this great on-screen chemistry together. They play off of each other so well and they are both so funny. Little Dakota is an amazing little actor that is going to have a long and successful career. He already can keep up with big screen leading man Hugh Jackman, this kid is great. The humor in this movie is so quick and realistic and so funny!

I loved the movie because it had great action with the fighting robots but amazing heart between the actors. At points you forget that Atom is a robot and you feel like he can understand you. The movie shows you that even the toughest creatures have a weakness in them. I'm telling you to go see this movie NOW! I'm already trying to figure out when I can go see it again. It was so good I could have sat and watched it all over again. I never do that but this movie was just that good. A MUST SEE!!!

Over all A

1 comment:

  1. Love it. I was riveted. Sometimes if felt like I was watching a 'Rocky' movie or something. Worked hard not to cry at the emotional high points, too. And gotta like all the love for Michigan, especially Detroit. Nothing wrong with a little Eminem for your (electronic) soul.

    Cal

    ReplyDelete