Monday, September 20, 2010

Bell Book and Candle

Alright I am a firm believer in watching old movies because they are amazing. I always hear things like "Oh that movie is so old so it's not any good." Well I have some news for you buddy....that is so totally WRONG! I will give you that some older movies seem a bit out dated but so do movies from a few years ago. Go back and watch a movie from the 90s or even early 2000's and you will see it is dated. Sorry....I'll get off my little soap box now and tell you why Bell Book and Candle is such a great movie.

As fall draws near we are all getting in the Halloween spirit.....I know I go crazy around this time of year. I'm talking movies and decorating my house....the works! Anyways I was in the mood for something a little different so I busted out Bell Book and Candle. Now this movie was made in 1958 and it is about a witch and the man she wants

The witch is Gill who is played by Kim Novak who is stunning as ever. Even her giant eyebrows don't take away from her beauty. She is amazing and sexy at the same time. So Gill comes from a magical family and her aunt Queenie lives upstairs and she has a brother named Nicky, who is played by a young and cute Jack Lemmon. Well James Stewart plays Shep who moves upstairs and is introduced to this family who he thinks is just odd.

Now the whole movie takes place around Christmas and it is this sort of love vs passion battle. In this movie witches can not fall in love, if they fall in love they loose their powers. Soooo we know that Gill can not love Shep but she can "witch" him. As Queenie puts in "We can not fall in love but hot blood is acceptable."

Well we end up finding out that Shep is about to marry a woman that was terrible to Gill in college, so let the fun games begin! Now I don't want to spoil the movie for you.....I want you to be curious enough to go out and find it for yourself. I know they sell it at the store because i saw it there the other day!! Sooo GO FIND IT and enjoy!

Passion: Yep
Magic: Heck yeah!
Scary: No
Funny: Sometimes

Overall grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment