Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Avatar

Alright the time has come to talk about Avatar. The reason I bring it up is because the film is being released on DVD in April. So now all the people who have not already seen it will see it and all the people who adored it will buy it.
Here is the deal with Avatar.....I like it. Visually it is stunning, the special effects are great and it's an overall good movie. I do have a few little problems with the film. Now don't worry I won't give anything away...I hate it when people spoil the ending of the movie!
So my problem with Avatar is the way the people and races are portrayed. Races you say? I thought they were alien blue people! Yes they are Alien blue people but let's be politically correct, they are the Na'vi. (pronounced NAh-Vee). They are a group of tribal creatures that live in this lush land of color and beauty. It is all about nature and being connected to the Earth.
So Amber what's the big deal....that sounds like a great thing....yes it SOUNDS nice. The movie itself is fine but the casting done my James Cameron is what got me. So the soldier and scientists are played by a predominately white cast. We have Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver, Giovanni Ribisi, and Stephen Lang. They are the main players for the humans in the film. Of course we have the one bad ass chick who is played by a Hispanic Michele Rodriguez and an Indian computer tech played by Dileep Rao. In the first place, it is very stereotypical to have the Indian guy play a tech guy. Why couldn't he have been apart of the military or one of the Na'vi. Nope he's the computer guy (Red Flag!)
Then we when take a deeper look at the Na'vi guess who is cast!? Predominantly African American actors. Now why would you try to make a film about equality and acceptance of difference but have all the Natives played by African Americans. That does not hit me as equality. How come there are no white people playing Na'vi? Why are all the humans that have Avatars white? I'm just making the claim that this film is putting itself in a very soft spot. James Cameron clearly had an image of what "type" of people the Na'vi would be. I just find it slightly racist and just politically incorrect.
The film itself is a good story filled with many great themes. It is really trying to shine light on acceptance and understanding. So I like the film for what it is but I hate that there are so many underlying stereotypes about race. If anything I hope that this just helps open your eyes to what the films you are watching are trying to tell you. Keep your eyes aware!
Overall I still give the film an A- because it is a well made movie I just have an issue with the hidden message being projected.

Action: Yes
Romance: Yes
Adventure: Tons!

No comments:

Post a Comment