Thursday, April 28, 2011

Water For Elephants

I must say that I was very impressed with Water For Elephants. I finished the book only days before I saw the movie, so I went in with very high expectations. I knew the story and was very interested to see how the film’s adaptation would compare and I have to say it was great. The movie follows the book very closely, there are only one or two little details that were changed from book to movie. The biggest change was the merging of Uncle Al and August into one character and you hardly see the difference.

I have to warn you my biggest worry about this movie was the actors cast in the lead roles. I knew that Christopher would be sensational as August and I was right. He brings the perfect balance of charm and deception. He is likeable one moment and then you hate him the next. He is such a talented actor and fully deserves his Oscar. My other worry was about Mrs. Reese Witherspoon, I love her as an actress. I think she is very talented and charming. My only worry was that she was a little old for the role, that could be my own prejudice because I saw book Marlena as younger. Don’t get me wrong Reese does a lovely job in the role and makes it her own. Now my biggest worry of all was Mr. Robert Pattinson. I did not know if he would be able to carry this film on his own. He is known for being Edward and let’s face it, he not the best actor in that series. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some corny Twilight but this movie has depth. Water For Elephants is a powerful tale with a strong leading man and you know what....Pattison delivered! I must say I was impressed with his performance and he did a great job bringing Jacob to life. So I guess the bad acting come from either being in Twilight or dare I say, Kristen Stewart? Either way the movie is great and I was impressed with the cast.

A quick sum up, the movie is about a guy that runs away with the circus in 1931. His name is Jacob and he was about to graduate from college with a degree in Veternary Science but the day of his final he finds out his parents were killed in a car crash. Don’t worry it’s not a spoiler it happens 3 minutes into the movie. So Jacob runs away and joins a circus group and starts to watch over the animals. The boss August has a beautiful wife Marlena and Jacob swoons over her. The circus buys an elephant and it is Jacob’s job to train it. So basically it’s a How To Train Your Elephant tale! Yes I am aware of how bad of a joke that it!

I don’t want to give much more away because the shock it what makes the movie so amazing. The film is pg-13 so it’s not too bad graphic. I saw the movie with girls from my church and it was appropriate. If you are in the mood for a little romance and secretly want to run away and join the circus than this film is for you. Over all I saw the book is better, but that is ALWAYS the case. I say the movie is one of the BEST adaptations I have seen.
Over all I give it an A-

No comments:

Post a Comment