Friday, July 20, 2012

Dark Knight Rises

First off let me say I am so sorry for the families in Colorado. I'm so sorry for them and my prayers go out to those affected. It makes me sad that this horrible tragedy will be attached to this great film. I hope no one feels I am being disrespectful in doing this review. I feel like the plot of this film is to fight against oppression and stand up to injustice. It shows that the human spirit and the will to do what is right and will prevail.

The Dark Knight Rises starts off 8 years after the first film. Harvey Dent and Rachel are gone and Bruce is left to his own demise. Alfred and Fox try to get him to move on in his life but he can not. While Bruce is a shut in, people like Jim Gordon and Officer Blake are left without Batman. The city of Gotham is almost at a moment of peace.

It is the calm before the storm. A new villain named Bane and a woman named Selina Kyle are wondering the streets of Gotham causing problems. So when he is needed Batman will always return to protect his beloved city.

Ok I have to be very careful not to spoil anything. The film brings all kinds of fun toys for Batman to play with. We get our first look at the Bat plane and our favorite Bat Cruiser pops up. Bane also has some fun toys and big explosions. He is a bad guy we love to hate.

All of the actors did a fantastic job and the emotional range was so stellar. I think my favorites are Joseph Gordon Levitt and Michael Caine. Levitt plays Blake an officer on the Gotham police department. He is Gordon's right hand man. Blake believes in the law, what is right, and Batman. Levitt does a great job showing his passion and his range of emotion is so impressive. Levitt has been acting a long time, I remember him in 3rd Rock From The Sun and I feel like he is finally getting the recognition he deserves! Well done Sir, I am very impressed. Another outstanding performance came from Michael Caine, not that it's surprising! Caine taps into the deep pain that Alfred feels for Bruce and how much he loves him. A great performance from a brilliant actor.

Anne Hathaway gives a charming performance as the duel personalities of Selina Kyle and Catwoman. I didn't know if Anne could pull it off but she did a great job. I wanted to see more of her. When she wasn't on screen, I found myself missing her. The chemistry between her and Christian Bale was outstanding. You have to love when Batman finds a girl that can give him a run for his money! Well done both of you.

Christian Bale is haunting as the lost soul of Bruce Wayne. Bale is able to show Wayne's true pain for his past and hope for Gothams future. He is also haunted by the ghosts of his past....literally. Keep your eyes open for characters from the other films because they are there.

Over all the film is a stunning conclusion to the Batman saga. I must say it does leave it open for future projects. I must say that I am very hopeful that we will be seeing more of Mr. Levitt! I should warn the comic fans that this is CLOSE to the comics but a few liberties were taken. One major one that I won't spoil for you. Trust me, if you know anything about the comic series you will catch it in the end.

Action: Yes
Drama: Yes
Amazing Acting: Yep!

Over all grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment