Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Amazing Spiderman

Alright Amber let's sit down and focus! You must write this blog because if you don't write it, people can't read it. If people can't read it, you can not expand your little universe! Alright readers here we go! I'm sorry it has been weeks between posts, my motivation is at zero! It's been too hot to do anything but sit on my butt melting in the 107 degree heat. So to stay focused I went to the local coffee hut and I'm drinking my Arnold Palmer. Sadly I am sitting in the worlds most uncomfortable chair. I keep eyeing the other tables planning my secret table attack. Move your feet lose your seat! ANYWAYS!

This past week I have been movie watching like CRAZY! I have finally got some time for myself and have been trying to play catch up. This past weekend I went and saw The Amazing Spiderman....not to be confused with Spiderman with Tobey McGuire from a few years back. This is a whole new reboot for Marvel and I must say I was very excited for it. Don't get me wrong, the others were good. They followed the original comic books very well. To us comic people, that is what it is about....follow the story and don't screw it up. So in this version they basically took a few liberties with the comic but not too many where is pisses you off. It's just skewing the timeline just a little.

In this story we have the charming Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker. We see his parents leave as a child and we see Peter's confusion and pain over his parent's abandonment. We have Martin Sheen and Sally Field as Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Both do a great job playing the concerned adult figures in Peter's life. Personally, I liked them but I found Sally to be a bit young to play Aunt May.....I always see her as older. We also have Emma Stone playing Gwen Stacy and she is so charming and fantastic. For you unknown nerds Gwen was in fact involved with Peter at one point during the comic books. We also have Gwen's father Captain Stacy played by Denis Leary. He is the perfect father figure/cop trying to protect the city and take down the Spiderman! We also have a stunning and haunting performance from Rhys Ifans as Dr. Curt Conners. Basically it is a full power ass kicking cast that any director would drool to work with!

The problem is I can't give away too much about the film because it will literally ruin the film for you. I know the previews give WAY too much away! So let me just explained what I liked and if a spoiler pops up I will warn you!

One of the issues I had with this film is the relationship between Peter, Uncle Ben, and Aunt May. I didn't feel the closeness that I wanted for those characters. That seemed like a minor story in this 2 1/2 hour movie. I wanted more of a connection and more respect from Peter to them. I think part of me was comparing to the other Spiderman film....which is not fair...I know!

I really liked Peter and the way Andrew played him in this film. He wasn't this really nerdy kid that you felt bad for. He was just an average kid trying to get through high school, like most of us did. He was still charming but a little shy. The way he played the flirtation between himself and Gwen was so real and cute. A side note....Andrew and Emma are now dating in real life....maybe there was a Spiderman romance connection even then. I can tell you that I fell for both Peter and Andrew. I really fell for him when I saw that boy kiss....GRRR!

The character of Dr. Conners was probably my favorite. He had so much mystery, secrets, and soul that you wanted to see more of. The performance by Rhys was electric....you wanted to see him more on screen. It makes me wonder why he doesn't have a bigger name for himself. Seriously a very underrated actor!

The film did a great job of showing New York City as this city of togetherness. It was a very post 9/11 representation of the City and how they can come together in a time of distress. I just spent a week in NYC and I did see the city in that light. So many different cultures and people that must come together as a city in a time of need. It honestly gave me chills to see in person and then see on screen. A very Pro-America ending that shows what a big heart this country has.

Over all the movie had great special effects and wire work. The stunts were action packed and believable. Andrew looked great in the Spiderman suit and I really hope they make another film....OR Add him to the next Avenger Movie!! For those of you that didn't know, Spiderman was in the Avenger comic books, he was recruited by Tony Stark. Fingers crossed that he can assemble with the other beautiful superheroes...oh yeah and Scarlett Johanssen. ;)

Action: Yes!
Adventure: Yeah
Comic Book Adaptation: Well Done!

Over All:B+/A-

No comments:

Post a Comment