Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Haywire

I am so on the fence about the movie Haywire. The film had action, adventure, and some intense butt kicking but it lacked story. The movie is about a hired gun named Mallory, played by Gina Carano. She is betrayed and the movie is about her trying to figure out who set her up. Along the way she meets and beats a bunch of people. The movie is a Where's Waldo of actors. Every now and then someone like Channing Tatum, Antonio Banderas, Ewan McGreggor, Michael Fassbender, Bill Paxtor, and even Michael Douglas show up!

To be totally honest the movie lacks story. It is confusing because you are not sure who to trust and in the end we are still a little confused. There are a ton of loose ends that never get resolved.

The fight scenes were AWESOME! Gina can kick some serious butt. I loved the fights because they seemed realistic. Well I should say Trained Realistic, I would be down with one punch. Even though the story was really slow the fight scenes totally make up for the lack of story.

I did have one little peeve and I couldn't put my finger on what was up with Gina. I figured it out once I went on imdb....her voice was dubbed! They made her voice sound much deeper for the film. Which makes me laugh because she basically has one tone the entire movie....same....monotone....voice. Not to go all feminist on my readers but of course they feel they have to make her voice deeper. I guess the only way to make a butt kicking female to seem real is if you make her more like a man with a deeper voice...ok I'll get off my soap box.

The movie was directed by Stephen Soderbergh which surprised me. Normally his films have a little more story but it does explain why there were so many awesome actors. Soderbergh tries to be creative with the different colors and music he uses for action. There is no sound in the fight scenes except for the fighting and natural sounds of breaking items. In the stake out scenes there was always some type of intense fast music and it was in black and white alot. I liked what he was trying to do, a different way to use cinematography.

Over all not a bad movie but not the best either

Action: Yes
Adventure: Yes
Drama: Not really

Over all: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment