Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Way Way Back

I have been waiting for The Way Way Back for about a month and a half. I found the trailer on Youtube and knew I would love this movie. I love when films are not afraid to touch on some raw and real emotions. I also really enjoy Sam Rockwell as an actor and was excited to see him in this drama yet comedic role.

Let's get into it. The Way Way Back is a film about a 14 year old boy named Duncan, played by Liam James. Duncan is spending the summer at a cottage belonging to his mother's boyfriend (Pam and Trent). Played by Toni Collette and Steve Carrell. Within the first two minutes of the movie you know that Trent is a giant D-bag to Duncan. For example Trent tells Duncan that on a scale of one to ten, Duncan is a 3. He's horrible to the poor kid. Duncan is already shy and slightly awkward.

The Cottage is on the ocean and all the locals are big drinkers and party animals. It's like spring break for grown ups. Duncan keeps avoiding family and even the cute Susanna next door, played by AnnaSophia Robb. One day, Duncan shows up at the local water park called The Water Wizz. There he meets Owen, played by the charming Sam Rockwell. Owen takes Duncan under his wing and get's him a job working at the water park. Owen becomes the only real friend that Duncan has. Duncan can be himself and have fun for the summer.

The movie is filled with tons of heart and real emotion. It dealt with everything from verbal abuse, to infidelity, to friendship, to first love, to growing up and growing down. Sam Rockwell is so raw and pure as Owen. You miss him when he is not on screen. He brings this fantastic humor and real heart. He helps people embrace who they are, flaws and all. He also has great comedic timing with Maya Rudolph who plays Catilin. They bounce off of each other so well but still have this emotional connection that is the real center of their relationship.

Toni Collette and Steve Carrell do a sensational job playing a couple in love but also a couple confused in what they want. Trent is this man who is so hurtful to Duncan but caring to Pam. He does not act like a parent, he acts like a cliche college party jock you want to punch in the face. Poor Pam doesn't know which day to turn. She wants to be a good mother but she is trying to play this perfect girlfriend. She also tries so hard to fit in with Trent's immature friends, it's almost sad to watch.

Over all it was a great movie that I really enjoyed watching. I laughed so hard I had tears coming down my face. Sam Rockwell stole the story for me, I missed him when he wasn't on screen. I wish the whole movie could have been about Own and the water park. Duncan was adorkable but still managed to pull off this torn teenager.

If you are looking for a good summer movie with tons of heart, this is it. It has a great message and a real story that everyone can relate to. GO SEE IT!! I loved it and I know I will buy it when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment