Sunday, November 13, 2011

Immortals

Immortals was one of those movies I knew I would have to see and review. The number one reason is, I'm always curious if people will mess up the Greek Mythology. I took Greek Mythology in college and I hate it when filmmakers change the history for their own spin on the tale. This film was not too bad, it stayed pretty close to the correct tale.

As you know I hate 3D with every fiber of my being! I think it is a stupid waste of money and I don't see the point. Most of the time it does not add to the film it just makes it harder to see what's going on in the background because it's all blurry. Ok, sorry I will get off of my little 3D soapbox. I saw the movie in 3D and it doesn't really make the film any better. The coolest part about it was seeing the blood splatter everywhere.

I was shocked to find out that this movie was directed by Tarsem Singh. That is the same director as The Cell and The Fall. He is one of my all time favorites because he has an amazing eye for color and effects. The cinematography of this film is breath taking and amazing. It seems like the emotion of the film is carried in the colors. Tarsem also does an amazing job at mixing color with emotion. There was alot of Red for Lust, Gold for Power, Brown for purity, and grey for evil.

The film is about Theseus, played by Henry Cavill, and his journey from simple boy to mythic warrior. He was raised in a small village by his mother but he has no father. You should know that in the Myth, Theseus' father was Poseidon. In the movie they say his mother was raped and he is an outcast to the people. One day war comes to his village and he is forced into slavery. While he is being held he meets Phaedra, played by the very sexy Freida Pinto. We know that she is an Oracle and she has seen a future where Warlord King Hyperion, played by Mickey Rourke, has released the Titans. The Titans are Godlike creatures that tried to defeat the Gods and bring pain and suffering to man.

The Gods become aware of the vision and watch from above but are not allowed to interfere. Zeus, played by Luke Evans, forbids any God from helping the humans. He states that they have given them free will and we must trust in the good within people. This angers the other Gods Athena, Apollo, Aries, and Poseidon. (played by Isabel Lucas, Corey Sevier, Daniel Sharman, and Kellen Lutz)

Theseus ends up escaping with Phaedra and with the help of Stavros, played by Stephan Dorff they take off to Theseus' village. In the village they find the Icarus Bow that once belonged to the Gods. King Hyperion is searching for the bow at the same time and he shows up and war breaks out.

I should stop telling you what is going to happen there because if I go any farther I will ruin a bunch of the movie for you. I really don't want you miss out on any of the amazing action moments. This movie is filled with so many intense fighting scenes and great special effects. Tarem does a great job of showing you how man and God would fight.

The best part of the movie is seeing the Gods in action. I almost wish there was more of that and less with the humans. I didn't like that they only had a handful of Gods. The Greek Mythology there were so many amazing Gods they could have shown, but I understand that you can't show everyone.

I must say that I was impressed with Henry's performance, his range was out of this world. The only thing I knew about Henry was that he was in The Tudors and I must say he impressed me. I feel like he is going to have a very long career ahead of him.

I was also really blown out of the water by Luke Evans as Zeus. I found myself missing Zeus when he was not on screen. I liked that he brought a very human quality to Zeus. He was very biblical is being the "One True God". The way he lets mankind fight for themselves and trust in their free will. He also is a father that loves his children but is willing to sacrifice a son on the behalf of mankind.

Over all the film was great and I will probably buy it because it was beautiful.

Over all: A

No comments:

Post a Comment