Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pump Up The Volume

So as I have stated before I think it is VITAL as a film person to watch all types of films. Now if I were only to watch the latest blockbuster I would not be a very good critic! Soooo once again I'm here with one of those hidden gems that you should try to get your hands on!

So a few months back I went on this very intense Christian Slater kick and watched almost everything he was in! A few of the films stood out like The Name Of The Rose or Heathers but one of my favorites is Pump Up The Volume. The film was released in 1990 and is the typical high school drama story.

Slater plays this shy kid who decides that the only way he can express himself is to start a crude pirated radio show in his parent's basement. I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit disturbed by the beginning of the film, Slater's radio personality Harry is....what's the word....not crued...but....vulgar? Yeah I guess vulgar could work, he makes rude jokes and is graphic with some of his "jokes". Well if you stick with the first 10 minutes I promise you will not be disappointed. The film moves into this story about high school kids being lost and forgotten by society. Harry has a chance to deal with everything from bad teachers, pregnant students, sexual harassment, and teen depression. Harry becomes the only voice for these kids and the film just takes off!

It has moments where you will laughing and blush at the same time. Slater is fantastically charming and witty! The soundtrack is AMAZING full of really great rare music. The film is rated R and should be because it is a bit intense but it's worth it! If you get a chance to get your hands on it....Rent it....watch it....buy it.....just get your hands on it!

Just don't forget to....Talk Hard!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment