Saturday, March 9, 2019

Bodyguard

100 Movies in 100 Days
Movie 29 Day 29
Bodyguard

Again I'm going to switch it up with another TV series because this one was so amazing! Now as some of my readers may know, I am a very big fan of the BBC. I'm a fan of anything British really. I think British television is so good and the US is finally starting to catch up. The UK has no fear on taking risks and pushing stories to the next level. I've always been a fan of Sherlock, Doctor Who, Downton Abbey and so many others. I figured I would give Bodyguard on Netflix a chance.

I went into Bodyguard with very little knowledge. I knew star Richard Madden was in it and he won a Golden Globe for his role. Other than that, I didn't know much. So yesterday I had a few hours of downtime and I decided I'll watch one episode. I ended up sitting and watching all six episodes in a row! I did not go to sleep until after 3 a.m. That's how good this show is! Every single episode has you on the edge of your seat. You are holding your breath and praying all the characters are going to make it out alive. You would think the high energy would burn out but it just keeps coming. It was like running a marathon!

The premise of Bodyguard is Richard Madden plays a former military operative named David Budd. Since returning from war, he works for the British government as a bodyguard for the Home Secretary of the British government. It's kind of like protecting a Vice President or Secretary of State. David has to protect a woman who is constantly under threat. She is going against terrorists and criminals and she needs a magnificent bodyguard.

The first 15 minutes of the first episode has you on the edge of your seat. We see David's training and how brilliant a soldier and bodyguard her is. The series does a brilliant job of shedding light on PTSD and stress related to soldiers coming back from war. It does it in a way that is respectful but also incredibly eye-opening. These men and women have served their country for years and when they come home they need time to heal but they're afraid. If they admit to having a PTSD issue they will not be able to get good employment. It's a weird messed-up system and Bodyguard handles it with the dignity and respect that it should be addressed.

Bodyguard also tackles issues on a global scale. Topics like terrorism, counterterrorism and how far is too far when it comes to the government. Again, I don't want to give too many spoilers away because it's so brilliant but it will definitely leave you wanting more. Richard Madden was absolutely brilliant and earned every bit of that Golden Globe he won. He was emotional and yet tough, caring and endearing. He was absolutely brilliant in this role. If you have a free afternoon, I highly recommend watching Bodyguard. But be prepared, if you're like me you may end up watching all six episodes in a row. Enjoy this amazing edge-of-your-seat suspense mini series

No comments:

Post a Comment