Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Battleship

I'm all about action and adventure, bad acting is something that bothers me. I was very interested when I heard that they were making Battleship into a movie. First off I was very confused because how were they going to do and would they be able to pull it off. I am happy to say yes they did pull it off. The movie brings fantastic special effects and beautiful settings into a modern art or war type story. The film takes it's young stars and pulls them into situations where they will either grow and survive or be selfish and parish. The film stars Taylor Kitsch as our young and rebellious Lt. Alex Hoper who can not figure out what to do with his life. His borhter Commander Stone Haopper is played by the charming and loyal Alexander Skarsgard. Liam Neeson stars as the brave and strong Admiral Shane and his daughter and Alex's girlfriend is Sam, played by the lovely Brooklyn Decker.We also have Rihanna in her acting debut as Petty Officer Cora Raikes.


The film starts with the Hopper brothers trying to find purpose and meaning. Stone uses the Navy to find his place and Alex tries to gain the heart of Sam. We also see the the government is sending out a radio signal to outer space to a planet that has a similar environment to ours. A few years later we see the Hopper boys are at the anual Navy training games with ships from all over the world. That same day ships fall from the sky and Hawii is locked into a shield and is invaded from an enemy out of this world.

I was shocked that the movie made a big effort to show the dark and forgotten sides of war. Sam works at a military rehabillitation center and we see all these amazing men and woman who have lost parts of their body for their country. As an audience we feel the pain of a fallen soldier and the fear of what to do now that they are not one. There is also a poitn in the movie of remembering those that have fought before us. At one point the modern Navy must as the help of former Navy vets in order to fight back for their planet. It shows this respect of your elders, past, and those that have given so much for our freedoms. I was not expecting such a heartfelt and obvisous message from the filmmaker.

The special effects are fantastic and so believible. I honestly thought that there were real spaceships flying around at sea. You are not sure what is real and what is not. Even the Aliens themselves seem so real that you are not sure what is CGI and what is real. I was very impressed with the action and the way it was tied into the batteship game. I was on the edge of my seating waiting for the next attack or the next moment I would jump out of my seat. Bravo for action.

There were only two things that I didn't like in this movie....product placement was TERRIBLE. Everywhere you looked there was a Coke Zero sign or someone was drinking it. There were a few others that actually made me roll my eyes because it was not even suttle! I also thought that the acting by the main cast was great but the smaller roles the acting was comical! I mean seriously funny and I coulf not believe they could not get a better actor in there! I found myself laughing at the smaller roles because you could tell they were reading a script. Rihanna did an ok job in the movie. Most of her lines were simple and her yelling. She did an ok job at that....she should probably stick to singing. She was not terrible but you could tell it was out of her comfort zone.

Over all it was an entertaining movie that will keep you guessing. Looking for something fun and you have already seen Avengers....go check this one out. you have been warned about the terrible acting but other than that the action was pretty sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment