Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows

The only thing that runs deeper than my love for movies is my love for Robert Downey Jr. He is such a talented actor that has had to fight his way to the top. I have a huge respect for him because he cleaned up his life and recreated his career. I adore him with every fiber of my being!

Needless to say I was very excited when I heard they were making a second Sherlock Holmes movie. I really enjoyed the bromance between Watson and Holmes so I knew this would be awesome. The best thing about this sequel is everyone comes back! We have Jude Law as Watson, Robert Downey Jr as Holmes, Rachel McAdams and Irene, Kelly Reilly as Mary, Eddie Marsan as Inspector Lestrade, and Geraldine James as Mrs. Hudson! It is always a good sign when you have an entire cast return. There are also a few fantastic additions to the film, we have Stephen Fry as Mycroft Holmes (Sherlock's brother), Jared Harris as Moriarty, and Noomi Rapace as Sim.

This film jumps in where the other film left off. We know that Irene is working for Moriarty and Holmes is on the hunt to see what Irene is up to and find Moriarty. I have to be very careful with this summary because I do not want to give anything away. Basically Holmes finds out new clues and heads back to London. We find out that Moriarty is a horrible man who will do anything to get what he wants. Basically I don't like him AT ALL! Moriarty makes Blackwood look like a freaking Saint!

Holmes is back in London and poor Watson gets mixed up in the whole mess. On Watson's Stag night (British Bachelor Party) we meet Mycroft Holmes and see how different the Holmes Brothers are. Mycroft is in politics and is all about king and country. Sherlock is just there to find out more information about a girl named Sim. We find out that Sim's brother is working for Moriarty and that Moriarty is trying to have her killed. Sherlock helps her out and then sends Watson off to his wedding. Of course there is a huge action scene that is fantastic and artistic but you need to go see it!

Let me see....how can I explain what happens next without spoilers....let's just say that Sherlock and Moriarty exchange words and we see how evil Moriarty is. As a result of this exchange, Watson and Mary's honeymoon is cut short because men show up to kill them.

After this Holmes and Watson agree to get to the bottom of this case and stop Moriarty from doing anymore harm. Of course they would need the help of Sim to figure out how to stop Moriarty and her brother from creating a war.

The film is filmed very similar to the first film. Lots of amazing slow motion capture action scenes. There is a great one with all the characters being shot at through the woods. It is one of the most beautiful action scenes I have seen in a while. I will say I think they played up Sherlock's slow motion pre-fight techniques a little bit too much. I think they should have kept it to like 2 as opposed to about 4 but that is just my two cents.

I thought the actors did a great job together. Holmes and Watson were much more serious in this film because they had to be. They were working together for a common goal and they knew it needed to be done. There are a few great moments that just make you laugh because they have such a great bromance!

I thought that Moriarty was a great character because he was scary not because of what he did but because of what he could do. This man had no limits and that is where the fear is....what else could he do? I must say I wanted more Irene but that is because she was one of my favorite characters in the series. I love that she can get under Sherlock's skin. She is only in the movie for 2 or 3 scenes and it was not enough. I won't give any spoilers....but it's really difficult not to!

I think the movie was very well done. They left alot of things open for another movie. I hope the films does as good as the first one but we will have to see! The action is fantastic, the story is great and Holmes is brilliant and funny all at the same time. If you liked the first film, you will like this one. It leaves you wanting more, I could have sat through another two hours easily but I also adore Robert Downey Jr!

Action: DUH
Adventure: Yep

Over all: A!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment